Fellow Health Insurance Enrollment Information
The Research Foundation of SUNY offers a comprehensive, reasonably priced, health insurance plan to all eligible graduate fellows. The following information explains eligibility, dependent coverage, monthly premiums, coverage dates and how to enroll in this health insurance plan:
- You must be paid an annual stipend of at least $4,293 for the period AND
- The stipend must be paid through the Research Foundation payroll system.
Dependents Eligible for Coverage Under the Plan Include:
- A legal spouse
- A domestic partner
- Unmarried children up to age 26
When Coverage Begins and Ends
Coverage begins on the date your fellowship begins, or on the date you become eligible. To ensure coverage, you must enroll within 30 days of becoming eligible. Coverage ends on the last day of your fellowship, or the day you are no longer eligible.
How to Enroll (READ CAREFULLY)
- If the Fellowship is paying for the health insurance, the Project Director/Co Project Director must complete the Health Insurance section on the Academic Fellowship form, indicating Grant Pay.
- The campus department will forward the Academic Fellowship Form to the Human Resources Services, Payroll Office. Upon receipt of a copy of the Academic Fellowship Form from the Payroll office, the Office of Grants Management will enter a separate Labor Schedule into the Oracle system to encumber grant funds for the cost of the Fellow's health insurance. Biweekly payments will be charged to the grant from this encumbrance. Health Insurance will terminate upon termination on the Fellowship.
- The Fellow must complete the Health Insurance enrollment application and submit the enrollment application to Human Resource Services. (Do not attach the Health Insurance Enrollment form to the Academic Fellowship Form)
How to Enroll for Self Pay
You must complete the health insurance enrollment application and submit the enrollment application to Human Resource Services. The health insurance premiums will be deducted from the Fellows check bi-weekly.
Once your application is processed the insurance carrier will send the Health Insurance ID card to the address on your enrollment form.
* While this web page is intended to be a useful reference, it is not a substitute for your Group Certificate or handbook. If there are any discrepancies between this web page and handbook or the Group Certificate, the handbook and Group Certificate will prevail.