Graduate School Bulletin

Spring 2024

International Students

F-1/J-1 International Student Documentation

Each person planning to study, teach or engage in research in the United States is required to have the appropriate immigration status for that activity. The immigration documents for F-1 and J-1 student status are issued by Visa and Immigration Services at Stony Brook University based on receipt of required supporting documentation, including evidence of admission, English language proficiency, and proof of financial support for the program of study. Non-immigrant students are responsible for obtaining and maintaining the appropriate immigration status for their stays in the United States.

Upon application to Stony Brook University, Visa and Immigration Services will email applicants information on how to log in to accessVIS and submit the electronic request for a Form I-20/DS-2019.  Requests are processed upon BOTH admission to the academic department and  clearance  by the Graduate School.

Government regulations require that international students attend the institution that issued the I-20/DS-2019 used for entry into the United States. Transfers between institutions may be possible if a student can show that he or she reported to the original institution with the appropriate clearance. 

Please contact Visa and Immigration Services for any questions related to I-20/DS-2019 issuance or transfers.