Financial Assistance (for Food Assistance Programs, click here)
- CancerCare / The Cancer Financial Assistance Coalition (CFAC) - Financial assistance for those affected by cancer.
- Catholic Charities
Community Development Corporation of Long Island - Offers grants, loans, training and other assistance to assist with homeownership including; deferred grants and loans for home improvement needs, down payment assistance loan program for first time home buyers, and the Housing Choice Voucher program provides rental assistance to low-income families.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension - Offers free weatherization services to income-eligible homeowners & cost-effective electric reduction measures to low and limited income NY residents. Also offers financial management workshops.
Economic Opportunity Council of Suffolk, Inc. - Makes loans to eligible New York homeowners who are at risk of foreclosure and unable to get assistance from other foreclosure prevention programs. Funds can be used to bring a mortgage current, help get a modification, pay off a mortgage completely, or can be used to pay off property tax arrears or other debts that could lead to foreclosure.
- Family Service League - homelessness prevention program.
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) - Assists low-income New York residents with the cost of heating their homes.
- Housing and Urban Development - Offers rental assistance.
- Long Island Council of Churches - Offers financial assistance for housing, fuel, gas, electricity, transportation, and prescriptions (when sufficient funds are available). Also offers pre- and post-purchase budgeting and financial management education through financial education/predatory lending prevention workshops.
- Long Island Housing Partnership - Provides small loans to homeowners who find themselves in a monetary crisis, where they could lose their homes due to extenuating circumstances beyond their control, such as unexpected illness, job loss or other temporary setback.
- NYS Office of the Comptroller - Search for unclaimed funds.
- NYS Victim Compensation - Financial assistance for crime victims in NYS.
- Opting Out - Call 1-888-567-8688
Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA) - Helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get medication by matching them with the right assistance programs.
- Pronto Long Island - Serving Brentwood, Bayshore, Central Islip and neighboring communities. Food pantry, Thrift center, Warehouse, Shots for tots.
- Salvation Army
- Self Assistance Tax Service
- Social Security Identity Theft - Call 1-877-438-4338 (1-877-IDTHEFT)
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul - Call 1-516-822-3132
- United Way of Long Island: Project Warmth - Energy assistance for income eligible applicants
- Town of Brookhaven Division of Women's Services - Free Debt Counseling Services (631) 451-6146
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Tuesday, September 19, 2017
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017
- Tuesday, November 14, 2017
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Annual Credit Report
- Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Rochester - Provides confidential financial counseling for Rochester and the surrounding area.
- Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Buffalo - Provides confidential financial counseling for Buffalo and the surrounding area in Western New York.
Clearpoint Credit Counseling - Provides confidential financial counseling for the North County, Southern Tier, Capital Region, Central, and Upstate New York.
- Federal Trade Commission - Consumer Information
- Federal Trade Commission - Credit and Loans
Getting Through Tough Economic Times - This guide provides practical advice on how to deal with the effects financial difficulties can have on your physical and mental health.
National Foundation for Credit Counseling - Find confidential financial counseling that is closest to your location anywhere in the country.
Educational Financial Assistance
- Let's Get Ready - Preparations for entering college
- National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program - Primary care medical, dental and mental/behavioral health clinicians can get up to $50,000 to repay their health profession student loans in exchange for a two-year commitment
- The Automatic Millionaire - David Bach
- The Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey
- The Simple Path to Wealth - J.L. Collins
- Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki
- The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom - Suze Orman
- The Wealthy Barber - David Chilton
- The Millionaire Next Door - Stanley & Danko