How to Apply as an International Applicant
Follow these steps to apply as an International Applicant:
Step 1: Apply Using The Common Application
|Summary||The Common Application allows you to apply to more than 500 participating schools with one application.|
Step 2: Send Us Your Academic Credentials
Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.
Submit your English Proficiency via an official score report for the TOEFL, SAT, or IELTS.
- Stony Brook's code is 2548.
- View eligibility requirements.
Submit your Academic Records.
- Freshman Applicants: Official secondary school records.
- Transfer Applicants: Official secondary school records and Official transcripts for each post-secondary institution attended. See transfer credit policies.
All academic credentials must have an official seal, stamp or signature of a school or government official, and be submitted in the original language (if not in English, it must be accompanied by an exactly worded and certified translation).
All items must be mailed to:
Stony Brook University
Albany, NY 12204-2755
Step 3: Submit Your Financial Documentation
International applicants must document their ability to meet educational and living expenses for one-year of study so that Stony Brook University can issue a Certiﬁcate of Visa Eligibility (I-20). Currently, students must show proof of $40,650 (as of September 2014; subject to change) by way of bank statement(s).
Shortly after applying, you will receive login instructions for accessVIS, Stony Brook's portal for visa and immigration services. In accessVIS, you must upload scanned copies of the following documents:
- Bank Letter or Statement for Each Source of Funds (submitted in English)
- Copy of Passport
Specific requirements for each of these items can be found in accessVIS. Submit all required documents early in the admissions process to avoid delays in visa processing.
|Entry Term||Priority Deadline||Supporting Documents||Notification Schedule|
|Fall 2016 Freshmen||January 15||March 1||By April 1|
|Fall 2016 Transfers||March 1||March 1||Rolling|
|Spring 2016||November 1*||November 1||Rolling|
*Encouraged to apply by October 1 to allow sufficient time for I-20 processing.
Already Studying in the US?
The following items will be required in accessVIS:
- F-1: photocopies of all Form I-20’s (pages 1 & 3 of SEVIS I-20’s; pages 3 & 4 pre-SEVIS I-20’s)
- J-1: a photocopy of DS-2019
- Photocopy of both sides of current Form I-94 (stapled in your passport upon arrival in the U.S.)
- Photocopy of U.S. visa page with picture photo